Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Van

My van is a 1984 Ford Econoline conversion van. I went with a flat-roof model so I can get in and out of parking garages. She has a 351 4-barrel and a 3-speed auto (probably a C-6?) and a towing package. She's not too bad for a 25-year-old van I got for $600. With a week left to the date of my departure from my fixed living area, I got the carb tuned (complimentary from the dealership -- nice!), replaced the brake master cylinder, and patched the driver-side floorboard with scrap aluminum and sheet metal screws. She still idles a bit rough, none of the interior lights or anything work, and the climate controls are stuck on the hottest setting. There also may be the faintest beginnings of an exhaust manifold leak. But, again, not bad for 600 bucks. After I moved out of my place, I drove up to my parents' house about 150 miles north, where I removed the rear seats. I had intended on building a living area complete with a sleeping platform and storage areas and a sink and stove and everything, but plans changed. For one thing, I didn't have much time, since I was leaving for a European adventure soon and my mom needed help with other things. Secondly, I wasn't sure exactly how I wanted my van set up, and figured I could just build it as I discover better what set-up best suits my needs. So for the time being, I have a twin mattress on the floor and all my stuff in boxes and backpacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment